2/05/2003

Is it possible I misjudged Richard Gere?

I've been unkind in my reviews of Gere's work over the years (let's face it, his idea of conveying intense emotion seems to consist solely of blinking furiously), but I have to give the man his due. He was little short of superb as Billy Flynn in Chicago (so far above what I normally expect from him I may be giving him more credit than he deserves, but he was starting with a negative balance. I'm trying to be fair here.). Then I found a link to this story on Drudge:

Richard Gere stunned fellow liberals Monday by suggesting that President Bush is doing a better job of fighting AIDS than President Bill Clinton did.

Introduced by Sharon Stone at a fund-raiser at Cipriani 42nd Street for the American Foundation for AIDS Research, the "Chicago" star hailed Bush for his State of the Union proposal to contribute $15 billion toward the AIDS battle in Africa and the Caribbean. Gere then addressed the track record of Bush's predecessor in the White House.

"I'm sorry, Sen. [Hillary] Clinton, but your husband did nothing about AIDS for eight years," Gere said.


Refreshing to see Hollywood does not necessarily march in lockstep. But I'm betting it didn't win Gere any friends.

No comments: